Saturday, July 26, 2014

PROJECTS FOR SATURDAY/SUNDAY, JULY 26/27, 2014

How to Use Click-Bank Effectively.

Purchase Ads in Emails/Newsletters.

Email Opt-In forms.

What is a site map?

How does one with no experience running an internet marketing campaign dance confidently into a firm and present bonafide, proven, and effective Internet Marketing Campaign?  I have no experience performing this service for anybody.  Zero.  Zilch.  Nada.  But I am familiar with the tools, learning their functions, recognizing their value to customers only in the abstract and not solving specific problems in any real-world, real-market context.  I can identify problems in a market or in an agent's niche.  I can offer solutions, but they're unproven solutions.

Uncertainty is both a liability and an advantage.  There's uncertainty in the market; that's an advantage.  Then there's uncertainty in my performance; that's the liability.  Offering my services for free is a way to assuage the liability.  It's hard.  I myself would not want free services.  I'd be too suspect.  I'm generally not into giving someone the opportunity to make good in a Horatio Algiers kind of way on my clock or on my dime.  Hard to imagine that others would welcome such an offer.  Now to address this conflict, Paul Jarvis suggests contacting people to do work for free.  See his contact letter here:


Hi [Name],

I’m Paul Jarvis and I help businesses and nonprofits like yours do better and achieve more with their websites. I’ve donated to you for the past couple years because I know you do awesome work.

I have a vision for your website that will help you: build a large community of supports, increase your donations (and increase recurring donations) and even hopefully get you a bit of press.

Typically I charge $7,000 to design and develop a website, but I’d like to offer your my skills and problem-solving abilities for free.

Can we setup a call next Tuesday (or whenever works for you), if you’re interested?


Okay, the idea sounds nice.  This letter even moves me, someone who is 100% averse to having a rookie represent me in any way to 80% closer to signing up for this.  So a letter like this has power.  But the power in his letter are the facts like"I've donated to you for the past couple years because I know you do awesome work" and "I have a vision for your website that will help you: build a large community of supporters, increase your donations (and recurring donations), and even hopefully get you a bit of press."  I like too that he contrasts the regular price of his services, $7,000, with the offer to do it for free.  That sells too. 

Jarvis qualifies these free offers thus:

  1. If you are doing a project for free, make sure the client understands that THEY'RE HIRING YOUR FOR YOUR VISION AND EXPERTISE. Just because the project is free doesn’t mean you’re simply a monkey to do whatever they ask for. Make the logo bigger!
  2. Talk to the client before the project starts about getting a few referrals when the project is finished, since they’ll be happy with your work (make sure this happens!).  Also, ask for a testimonial from them once the job is finished.
  3. Tell them what your “normal” rate is and tell them that if they’re pleased with the results, you’re more than happy to work for them again or for new projects at that rate.
  4. If you are working for free, make sure it’s in the niche you want to do more work in and it’s the type of client and project you want to do more work for.
The uncertainty and my rookie status in no way puts an inexperienced rube like myself on equal footing with internet marketing campaign gurus or with an internet marketing department, where many of the different functions of a campaign are divided among internet professionals.  I am willing to offer services for free for now.  Free is no guarantee of success.  In fact, a newbie is perceived, rightfully so, as a liability to one's business, brand, or good name.  I understand this and I in no way want to jeopardize anyone's brand, product, or service.  To the contrary--I want to add value.  But on this side of this inexperienced side of the fence I want to know what the industry expectations are.

My questions are these:
1)  What 10 marketing strategies would appear on a Must-Have list?
2)  What guarantees could I offer that would mitigate the anxiety a client may have of working with a newbie?  I want my actions aligned to what I say or promise.  I do not want to say things like ". . . my help will . . . build a large community of supporters, increase your donations (and recurring donations), and even hopefully get you a bit of press."  I don't want to use terms like "hopefully" or "maybe" or "if all things go well."  I want to deliver what I promise.  I want my words to mean something.
3)  It's hard to focus.  It's hard to know what to do first.  Obviously, the website, but on that website, what must-haves should exist there?
4)  I need the experience, even if the experience is a trial run of a hypothetical firm.  But I need to know what the bundle of tools are the fundamental minimum for an effective campaign. 
5)  Don't know if it is feasible in beta testing the campaign first.

SAMPLE MARKETING CAMPAIGNS
Start here.

No comments: