Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Tech Help for Windows & Dell Computers

You mean I can run an entire operating program on a computer with no internet?

I need this page for new drivers. 
You need to go to the Dell web site, actually. This is the page you need:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/?app=drivers1
If you have a USB stick, you can do this on a computer that actually has working Internet access.
If you don't see the WiFi icon, you may have a driver problem and need to install your wireless drivers.

It starts here.

Power to Do More, Dell Computers.
Official Microsoft Windows Forum: Technet forums
Windows Forum: Windows Forum

Okay, I've tried a few of the sites mentioned above.  Not too helpful.  They start off helpful, but if a glitch or further question arises, you don't hear from them.  I am referring to HowtoGeek and Tom's Hardware.  I signed onto Windows Central, asked a question but got no reply.  They post on their landing page that you'll get an answer in 5 minutes.  So far it's been 45 minutes and no answer yet.

The 4th site I will try is TechSupportForum.com.  I don't know who owns this but will check it out.

There is an other place I had not thought of trying and that's Reddit.  Try their techsupport forum.
Here were some replies:

1)  There are MANY!! In fact, I almost answered by saying "Google". And that answer would not be a joke or sarcasm. "Just Google it" is always the best answer. Yes, always.  But if I must pick only one website among hundreds, the best place I know for general computer help and knowledge is HowToGeek.  For Geeks, By Geeks.  And if by some stretch of imagination you cannot find what you are looking for by Googling it, and the Geeks haven't written about it... You might try Quora.

2)  Actually there is no specific website that can provide all the solutions for a problem. Problems which arise with a PC are most commonly individual problems which all the users may not suffer from, in most of the cases. So you can't find all the solutions of a problem in a single tin. However, I can provide you with some of the best websites that help you troubleshoot your problems.
Official Microsoft Windows Forum: Technet forums
Windows Forum: Windows Forum
Apart from the above forums, I have a personal blog in which you can post your queries and I'll typically reply in a hour or 2 with helpful videos and screenshots too: www.dustmoon.com.
3) Google is the best site to help troubleshoot any PC. Search the error codes, type in what is happening on your PC etc...it finds it all.  Generally though you will not have many hardware errors (unless strange things happen like a cat nesting inside the PC) so you are most likely to get help that is useful from Microsoft's forums for your OS and from Dell Official Site - The Power To Do More or for your driver errors you might experience.

Alternatively if you have a Radeon or NVidia graphics card you may want to check their sites out for driver and troubleshooting support as both manufacturers have some pretty good answers on their forums and drivers with updates for their hardware.


There is no one place to go and find the right answer, but in general the manufacturer of the hardware or software with issues will be the one with the right solution to the problem.


4)   I'd say Google, Microsoft user community, Tom's hardware, etc.


With all of he troubleshooting that I've done I should probably list those things that I have done and state whether they have worked at all. Here is what I followed to solve the problem of the Diagnostic Policy Service not running.  It was running before I watched this video and it is running after.  In his video, it reads "Started" under the STATUS.  In my list of Services, it reads RUNNING.  


And here is what I have done to solve the problem of

No comments: