Friday, October 10, 2014



As you know, Amazon Local Register is a credit card processing service that makes it relatively easy for anyone to accept credit card payments. The service includes a card reader that connects to your phone so you can swipe credit cards to receive payment.

Like most 3rd party credit card processors, there is a delay from the time the payment is processed and it ends up in your banking account.

Details about amazon's service can be found at http://localregister.amazon.com/

Square offers a similar service - https://squareup.com/reader
As does PayPal - https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader

If you look in the Google Play store, you'll find more than 30 other services offering the same thing.

But you'll want to be careful - as you will be sharing credit card details with the service you choose, and you'll want one that is trustworthy and unlikely to go out of business without paying you.

For that reason, I would stick with Amazon or PayPal's service.
I've been using Square for the last year and have been happy with them. My money is in my bank account generally the very next day.

I just thought I'd give Amazon a try because they have a smaller fee.
I have used Square, PayPal and Amazon to take payments at live events. All three are fine.

Amazon had my money in my bank account on the next business day (just like Square). PayPal makes the money available in your PayPal account immediately, and you then have to transfer it to your bank account if you don't want to leave it at PayPal.

At this point, I like Amazon Register best. The reader is a bit larger, and easier to scan with. I can set up standard products on my phone, so I don't have to enter amounts and descriptions. The reports are very good. And the fees are the lowest.

I'm not sure where all the bad reviews came from, especially since there were a ton of them the day the darn thing became available. No one had even used it yet, and they were leaving one-star reviews. Makes me think it may be an organized campaign by the haters.

I like having more than one reader available, so I will hold on to my Square and PayPal readers. However, Amazon will be my choice for the foreseeable future.



No comments: